Bodega Roda – Roda I, Rioja DOC, Spain 2006
Intense, deep, black cherry red background with bright red cherry red hues in the rim. On the nose their is great balance between the oak and the fruit, in particular black plums, with some dark chocolate and sweet spices on a background of stark minerality showing through, providing a very elegant and complex bouquet. Medium bodied but showing great lenght. Mouth filling without weighing you down. The ripe black plum fruit shines together with some cocoa and dark chocolate blending perfectly with the sweet tannins from the oak. A very elegant, pleasing wine to the palate. Beautifully balanced, silky smooth, arousing an inviting moreish feeling that makes it a great food companion
Aged in 50% brand new and 50% second use French oak barrels. 16 months in barrels and 20 months cellaring in bottle. Bottled April 2008.
Finca La Emperatriz – Reserva, Rioja DOC, Spain 2012
A ruby red wine, very brilliant, with medium to high colour intensity and slightly tinted legs. Very intense on the nose, with initially complex, mineral aromas originating from the soil. This is followed by notes reminiscent of cigar boxes and sweet dairy products, with a hint of black fruits and orange peel; very elegant. Very intense in the mouth; a spirited wine with good acidity and medium strength on the palate. A friendly, enveloping sensation in the mouth, with a fruity and mildly spiced finish. Enjoy with Stews and casseroles.
Bodegas la Emperatriz
Bodegas la Emperatriz is great find. A picturesque estate in the heart of Rioja Alta which has been winning awards since the Paris Universal Exposition of 1878, when it was owned by the last empress of France, Eugenia de Montijo. Now owned by the Hernaiz family since 1996, the estate boasts 67 years old vine Garnacha and Viura, and produces Rioja’s only single estate Crianza. Their wines have proved a huge hit with wine critics across the globe and are widely listed in Madrid’s Michelin starred restaurants.
Ginraw, Gastronomic Gin (70cl – 42.3% Vol.)
– Full bodies and voluminous on the palate, it is smooth, pleasant and elegant. Floral aspects with a velvety feel, spicy and effervescent hints and subtle smoky nuance. Freshness and warmth evenly coexist with a balsamic background, characteristic of juniper. Lingering finish on the palate is long and delightful. A unique, low-temperature distillation process combining traditional systems with the latest gastronomic techniques. This preserves the essence and freshness of their selection of Mediterranean (lemon, citron,laurel) and exotic botanicals (kaffir lime leaves, black cardomom, coriander seeds) which combined in just the right proportions with juniper, result in unparalleled flavour and aroma. Ginraw is made in small batches to ensure the excellence of quality and taste in each bottle, that defines their reason for being.
La Rioja Alta SA Gran Reserva 904 – Rioja DOC 2009
– Outstandingly intense cherry-red; clean and bright. The nose reveals a bouquet of great aromatic complexity, with balsamic notes of vanilla, toasted caramel, mint chocolate, tea leaves and cinnamon that gives way to elegant notes of stewed fruits and prunes. Creamy well-balanced mouthfeel, with a harmonious freshness and smooth, well-tamed tannins that leave an elegant complex finish.
Macán Clásico, Bodegas Benjamin de Rothschild & Vega Sicilia, Rioja DOC 2014
– 2015 – The sweetness of the 2015 vintage is evident in this Macán Clásico with its ripe bramble nose but there is an intriguingly scented note to the bouquet which makes it extremely attractive. Full of crunchy, fresh red fruit, this is a refreshing, elegant and moreish Rioja. The tannins are all in evidence; they are pert yet incredibly fine suggesting that, whilst this can be enjoyed now, it has the structure of a much more serious wine.
Marqués de Cáceres Gran Reserva Rioja DOC 2010
– This wine is only made in “excellent” or “very good” vintages. It undergoes nearly two-and-a-half years ageing in highest quality oak barrels, followed by further ageing in bottle before release. Showing great complexity with notes of roasted coffee, spice, plum and strawberry. Powerful in the mouth with fleshy fruit and nuances of toasty, well-integrated oak leading to a long, balanced finish. Can be drunk now with grilled meats or game, or cellared successfully for the next 10 years.
Marqués de Cáceres Reserva Rioja DOC 2012
– Attractive colour with luminous highlights. Soft spice and refined oak on the nose with a depth of jammy red berry fruits. Luscious and intense on tasting with pleasant tannins that mingle with fresh and mature fruit. Finishes with delicious, long-lasting flavours.
Set, Vino Tinto Artesano, 2015
This wine is a 100% Garnatxa from vineyard just outside the village of Torroja in the Priorat region of Catalonia. the word SET mean thirst in Catalan and is a reference to the fact that, because of the landscape, the roots of the vines have to dig deep to find water resulting in really low yields of characterful, amazing quality grapes. Only 842 bottles of this wine exist in the world!