“Esprit” Domaine des Jeanne – Rosé, Luberon 2018
Domaine des Jeanne was formed when Welshman Lord Mervyn Davies of Abersoch was introduced to winemaker Alexandre Samour, whilst sourcing the perfect rosé for his daughter’s wedding in 2011.
The Vineyard in Oppède, in the Luberon region of Provence, is situated between the mountains and the sea, close to the legendary wine-producing commune of Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
The domaine’s first harvest was in 2012, releasing their first rosé in 2013, named ‘Jeanne’ after his Mervyn’s wife and Alex’s daughter. Jeanne appropriately means ‘divine gift’, and represents the importance of family to both founders.
Lovingly produced from grenache, syrah and clairette grape varieties, its rose petal colour precedes a red and white fruit bouquet highlighted with citrus notes; a well-balanced crisp palate, full of freshness, with a subtle fruity finale.
This wine works well on its own or partnered with fish, spicy foods and lamb. Enjoy over the next couple of years.
Calmel & Joseph – Syrah Villa Blanche, 2019
Deep purple red colour. This vintage is fresher than the 2013 with aromas of red fruits, blackcurrant, blackbery and spices. The mouth is well balanced, round and fruity. Notes of truffles and gunflint. Tannins are soft with a generous finish of spices. Very nice balance on this vintage clearly elegant.
10% of the wine is aged for three months in oak barrels of 2 vintages. The remaining 90% is raised in tanks on fine lees.
Top 100 The Wine Merchant
Highly Recommanded by The Wine Merchant
Guide Gilbert & Gaillard 2016
Casal Mendes – Rosé, Bairrada, Portugal
A delicious Portuguese classic – serve it cold
Refreshing and fruity rosé, bursting with aromas of strawberries and raspberries. On the palate the wine is soft and fruity with a light spritz. Nice fresh acidity and a touch of sweetness on the finish.
Casal Mendes – Vinho Verde, Minho, Portugal
Classic white produced from indigenous Portuguese varities in the northern Vinho Verde region.
Delicate citrus aromas lead onto a soft, rounded and slightly off dry palate with a light spritz. It combines apple and floral characters with soft tropical notes and fresh acidity on the finish.
Chateau du Fauga – AC Grand Vin Blanc, Montravel, 2018
Lively, fruity aromas. In clayey-limestone soils, the grapes are very ripe and thus give off aromas of candied fruit. Château Fauga is made with 90% Sauvignon, or 100% according to the vintage. Fermentation is carried out at a low temperature with a skin maceration of 24 hours – adding weight and complexity to the wine. Suggested dishes: Seafood platter, raw vegetables, fondue Savoyarde.
Chateau du Fauga
Chateau du Fauga is an 18th century castle listed as a historical monument, located 200 meters from the banks of the Dordogne in the town of Port Sainte Foy.
Herdade do Esporão – Alandra Branco, Alentejo, 2019
It is floral, fragrant and delicate, with lime and citrus aromas enhancing a fresh and fruity palate.
Herdade do Esporão – Alandra Rosado, Alentejo, N/V
– A bright blush in the glass the aromas are fragrant with strawberry and raspberry aromas dominating with an attractive hint of peppermint playing in the background. The palate offers a well balanced and elegant affair with minimal sweetness and shows off the strawberry and raspberry notes from the nose. Dry Style with natural fruit sweetness.
Herdade do Esporão – Alandra Tinto, Alentejo, 2018
Youthful, ruby colour. Fresh berry, fruity aromas. Fresh, bright, packed with red fruits and some soft tannin.
84 Points Wine Enthusiast (2011 vintage)
“This wine is a blend created using grapes sourced from vineyard sites, giving it a ripe, full-bodied character. It is smooth, almost New-World in style, but with an edge of tannins and acidity. Drink this wine now.” — R.V. (12/1/2012)
Herdade do Esporão – Monte Velho Branco, Alentejo, 2019
Crystal clear, pale straw colour. Fresh white stone fruits with citric notes. Firm, intense and well balanced palate, persistent aromatic fruit with a long finish.
86 Points Wine Enthusiast (2013 vintage)
“Soft and round, this is a wine that has the warmth of the Alentejo coupled with a tangy, fresh slice of lemon. Blending Antão Vaz, Roupeiro and Perrum, it’s a wine to drink now, or just age for a few months.”
Herdade do Esporão – Monte Velho Tinto, Alentejo, 2017/18
Clear deep ruby colour. Berry fruit aromas with some complex subtle toasty notes. Elegant palate with good depth of fruit and a fine tannic structure.
85 Points Wine Enthusiast (2012 vintage)
“A solid, dry, gently tannic wine that has a full and fruity character. Acidity and a dry core provide structure, while black berry and dark cherry fruits offer ripe contrast. It’s a wine to drink now and until 2019.”